Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Blogging about blogging and other recent web activities

There must be a verb for pinching contacts of your contacts from networking websites like Facebook... I can speak frankly about this because I know Jeff D'Urso does not read my blog :-) Jeff and I have been stealing each other's contacts off both Facebook and LinkedIn. This is pretty obvious because when I add a new contact we both know, he will soon add him/her as his contact, and vice versa. If you log in as either me or Jeff, you'll find that we'll have about a page full of shared contacts. I've known Jeff since college, and he introduced me to my first job out of college (even though he left the company before I even started). After I moved back to the US from Japan, I worked for Jeff's startup company. I'm now back in touch with people I haven't spoken to in 15 years. Hurray for technology.

I want to spend a few moments meta-blogging. I must confess that I am not 100% comfortable blogging. Now that I know some people actually read my blog, I have to be more careful about editing. It's so different from writing in a diary. In blogging, you obviously want the public to read what you are saying, and so what you say will have to be more controlled. It is quite a bit more constraining than writing in a diary, in which you won't have to worry about proper grammar or looking like an idiot about what you're saying. A blog has to be somewhat of a essay. If you are simply reporting what you've done today, then that's just plain boring.

I know people who don't want to keep a blog for fear that it will reflect poorly on their professional lives. This is understandable, I suppose, especially if you plan on becoming a politician. Even though I'm an artist and can have the luxury to speak my mind more freely, I still have to be careful about what I say, especially any frustration I might have felt during my career photographing weddings (eh-hem, if there was any frustration, that is).

I'd like to blog more regularly in 2008. Hopefully, I can learn to conquer my ADD enough to sit and write extensively on a given topic.

3 comments:

Jeffrey M said...

Haha - I'm busted and guilty as charged :-) That is one of the cool things about LinkedIn is that you grow your network as your friends grow theirs through "pinching"...

Alethea said...

Hi there - I'm another Wellesley alumna and have come here through the tiny list of blogs that they are collecting over on the alumnae website. I went there after a long absence (other things to do!) because I was thinking that it's funny no one has created a "Group" with a logo on LinkedIn for Wellesley. Do you know whom I could push at the alumnae office to do this? I can create a group, I think, but I wouldn't want to do the publicity for it among the very many alumnae who are on LinkedIn. It's just a visibility thing.

Pigmentia said...

Hi, Alethea. Thanks for the message. I'm not entirely sure if someone in the alumnae office would do this at all... You may want to get a hold of Michelle Gillette who runs the Alumnae Bulletin site...