Sunday, July 16, 2006

Wedding in Narragansett, RI this weekend.

I shot a wonderful wedding yesterday in Narragansett, RI. After so many days of rain, it was wonderful to have a clear weekend. Luckily, there were some nice clouds in the sky to diffuse shadows, creating some very dramatic portraits by the sea. AND incredibly, in the evening around 7:30 we had a rainbow in the sky -- without the rain! My assistant Amy and I posed the couple out on the deck of the Towers with the rainbow behind them. It was beautiful. The couple themselves were very photogenic as well -- here are the engagement portraits I took of them back in February. I didn't get back from the wedding until 12am and didn't get to bed until around 2am.

I woke up this morning at 7am and drove an hour west to North Grafton to meet my clients who are getting married on August 5.

Then Ken and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 2. I think Ken enjoyed it a lot more than me. I think it was a bit too long and neither as witty nor tight a script as the first one. The effects were fun, and there were great moments. An interesting discovery was that the actor who played Norrington was actually Jack Davenport, the same guy who played Steve in Coupling (a British sitcom that Ken and I absolutely loved). We had seen Pirates 1 before watching Coupling so we didn't realize it then.

I met with the book club this past Thursday and talked about Intuition by Allegra Goodman. I have 60 more pages to go, but I am enjoying it a lot -- I just keep getting interrupted. This is probably the best recently published book we read in the book club since I joined. Allegra Goodman is really skilled at character development -- she gets into every character's psyche and shows their different motives in this drama in a medical research lab. I know that doesn't sound too exciting -- a drama in a research lab, but in fact, it is. It's a story about overachieving young scientists trying to make something of themselves, and in the process, we get jealousy, politics, whistle-blowing, fraud, and sabotage--all stemming from the desire to achieve something great and having a successful career. I never worked in a research lab, but I had lived through my twenties in a corporate world just as competitive as the medical research world depicted in the book, and the Allegra really captures very well the mindset of someone fresh out of school.

Hoping to both catch up to Ken's recommended list AND satisfy my book club required reading, I brought in several books to recommend to the ladies, and I'm thrilled that they agreed on Silk by Allesandro Barrico. That will be the September book club selection! I'm already done with the August one because I wanted to hand it off to another book club member. The book for August is The G-String Murders by Gypsy Rose Lee. We had chosen this because Gypsy, a famous burlesque dancer, sounded so intriguing in the book February House -- an earlier non-fiction book we read on, well, the February House, essentially an artist commune in Brooklyn that housed Gypsy, W.H. Auden, Benjamin Britten, Paul Bowles, Carson McCullers, and Salvadore Dali, among others.

I would like to add Call of the Wild to my reading list for Alaska, but I have to first finish Initution, Silk, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I'm searching for other books with Alaska settings too. I think it makes a huge difference when you're reading about a place that you're actually visiting. I think I loved All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy that much more because I was visiting Texas at the time.

No comments: