Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Okay, I'll try again to blog... I had forgotten my password to my inactive bloggers account and because I had to have a bloggers account in order to view Maya's Tunisia blog, I started a new account... So typical of me.

Ken and I went to Plymouth yesterday to check out the Plymouth rock and the history of the Pilgrims' arrival. Ken took lots of great photos with his new Canon S3 IS with his 12x zoom lens while I tested my newly acquired all-manual vintage Minolta film camera with my fixed 45mm lens. The meter on this camera does not work (I have yet to replace the battery) but I decided to shoot with the "sunny 16 rule," which is if on a sunny day, with ISO 100 film, you should be shooting on F16, bracketing at 1/125 and 1/60 of a second. This is really the first time I'm testing this camera and testing this rule, so I'm going on blind faith.

I broke my roll of film last night because I was rewinding the film the wrong way -- again very typical of my using brute force with everything... But we have great images from Ken's camera anyways.

I managed to succeed using and rewinding the second roll taken in Hingham at our campsite, so not all the images were lost -- though all the ones taken in Plymouth were in the first roll.

So, yes, we went camping for the first time last night. Originally we wanted to stay at the Myles Standish State Forest, but it was full -- we should have reserved since it was the weekend of the 4th. They sent us to Wampatuck State Park up north (35min south of Boston) in Hingham. It was pretty, but we were way too close to Logan Airport, and hence the constant sound of airplanes over head until about midnight, and again early in the morning around 5am.

A few valuable lessons: Our Quencha 2-second tent worked perfectly -- no pitching necessary. However, I now know never again to buy this same brand of insect repellent -- it had no effect at all on the mosquitoes, which were abundant and aggressive as all hell.

We went on a nice hike this morning and saw a doe. She ran when she saw us. We also saw a raccoon last night -- I think she wanted to come towards our picnic table but decided against it when she saw me. On our hike this morning, we also saw a variety of colorful mushrooms and lichen. I wished I had a zoom lens in moments like those. A fixed focal lens is very limiting. I forced myself to bring it so I could learn to compose better within these limits. But damn! A close-up macro shot of these would have been so nice!

1 comment:

KYL said...

We named those mushrooms "Apple Mushrooms" -- the doe reminded me of the Edna St. Vincent Millay poem.